Saturday, September 1, 2012

Team Smelkins Moves. Again.

How often does this stable couple move in the first 16 months of their marriage? Three. So far. It could be more, but dear god I hope not.

With the way our old lease ended and new lease began, Matt and I had 36 hours to move our stuff, profusely clean our old space, and crash into our new place. And I can honestly say this is the only time I wished that we had more deadbeat friends who had nothing better to do than haul boxes up and down a half flight of stairs in exchange for a big meal and a cold beer.

My favorite quote from our moving experience came from Matt when he was driving the 14ft U-haul across town and excitedly shouted "I'm in a big orange tank!" And let me tell you, it felt like we were driving around in a tank so he wasn't exaggerating. Our tiny Corolla will never be the same to us after the power of a tank.

On the bright side of this madness, Matt and I will be able to celebrate meeting my life goal of living up North for a year or more in our shiny new apartment. Hooray! We're in a slightly smaller space than our previous apartment, but we now have a washer & dryer in unit and that was completely worth the sacrifice in square footage. Our new complex is very cute and we live right by the amenities so that Matt can easily continue his evening workouts.

The only downside we've discovered is that our apartment has an east facing window in the bedroom. This means we get oodles of early morning light in our bedroom while we're still trying to catch up on beauty sleep! I've bought some curtains to put up, but we need to borrow/purchase a drill before we can set them up. I'm not sure how excited I am about Matt operating power tools in the near future....

No comments:

Post a Comment