Saturday, October 8, 2011

Eight days into October & this is my first post for the month?

Not sure who to credit this image to. It's all over the net. If you know then please
let me know as I am happy to credit the creator/owner.
So I hate to admit it, but being alone and jobless in a new state several thousand miles away from my closest friends and family is hard. I miss everyone. I miss my old life. I am not admitting defeat, by any means, but I would like to mention (for posterity's sake) that I'm sad. Infinitely normal feelings, I know, but annoying to deal with nonetheless. Which is why the poster depicted above (my current desktop background) acts as a daily reminder that there are things I can do to help turn my mood around.

10 Positive Steps for Mental Health

  1. Accepting who you are - I haven't cut my face out of any of the pictures while decorating my apartment, so I think this step is well accomplished.
  2. Talking about it - I spend at least 15 minutes a day whining to Matt (poor boy) or one of my lady friends about my loneliness. I try to rotate this support system duty so as not to exhaust any one person's empathy too greatly.
  3. Keeping active - I work out at the apartment gym almost every day. Nothing hardcore but at least I am there!
  4. Learning new skills - Does learning how to be alone count?
  5. Keeping in touch with friends - Snail mail is the best. Checking the mail box is my favorite part of the day thanks to my girls! If you want a letter or little drawing from me, just drop a note in the comments and I'll send one your way!
  6. Doing something creative - Hmm, does crafting cover letters count as creative work?
  7. Getting involved - I signed up to volunteer with a local organization called Neighborhood House! I hope to get started working with them soon. 
  8. Asking for help - I have received incredibly sage advice from my friends, family and supporters. There hasn't been much need to ask for help because it has been given so readily.
  9. Relaxing - The library is my friend. Not only is the library only three quarters of a mile away, but they also have e-books available to rent online if I'm too lame to leave the apartment. Reading is my favorite way to relax and escape.
  10. Surviving - This one is easy. I just refuse to give up. "Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now is all that counts."
To be honest, this week has been one of the best since we've been here. Loads of great things have happened. We acquired Chuck Testa the beta fish. I got an early look at the gorgeous engagement pictures of my friends B & Mr. E. I received snail mail from my friends JJ, MgB and L. I attended a ladies spiritual small circle at a nearby church. My mom came back from her month long trip to Africa. We were invited to a Halloween party. I cured my insomnia by listening to folk tales read and recorded by my grama at bed time. I made homemade rice milk. We received a care package from the best mother in law in the world (that contained drool-inducing gummi snacks). Matt has the next two days off and we might go visit Mount Rainier. Life is good. So I will leave you with pictures of Chuck Testa the fish.

Chuck Testa swimming like the fish he is.

Chuck Testa posing for the camera like a pretty boy.

4 comments:

  1. He is sooo pretty! Hang in there, girl. You look and sound great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been baking a lot lately to help pass time since I have been sick and also limited to activity! A good new skill to learn..well maybe it is just something creative...but I've been painting flower pots lately...it is fun and cheap and helps get your mind off things...I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DANG IT!. I was freaking typing and then my browser went wacky and I lost very thing I wrote to you in response to your comment and facebook message.

    Basically, coconut flour sounds interesting and I've never used it before! I am sorry your insomnia is so bad that it has you up baking at all hours of the night. Not that I am sorry you're baking so much (because baking is amazing). Last night I made sweet potato muffins that were amazing.

    Almond milk is really good but almonds are way more expensive then rice. This is the recipe I based my rice milk adventure off of: http://www.veganreader.com/2009/05/17/how-to-make-rice-milk-and-stop-supporting-rice-dream/

    So in the end, this is what my recipe turned out like (because I only made 1/2 the amount and made a few other changes).

    Put 4 cups of water in a pot to boil. While water is heating, wash 1/2 cup of rice (I used regular white rice) really well. Once water is boiling add rice then let simmer for 2 1/2 hours.

    Once finished cooking, add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 2 tbsp of sugar. Blend (I used my food processor but you could use a blender) mixture until the liquid is really smooth (about 2 minutes). Then strain with a fine mesh strainer into glass jars (or other holding containers).

    I poured half the mixture into two 24oz jars then filled the rest of the jar with water. I ended up diluting it down by about double because I like my rice milk thin but you can choose to make it thicker or thinner.

    Now, you can drink it at this stage and it tastes delicious but feels a little pulpy. I HATE pulp in my juice so what I did was let the jars hang out in the fridge overnight. Then the next morning I strained the rice milk again. Be careful not to shake the jars too much before you strain because you will unsettle the pulp at the bottom (which will defeat the purpose of letting it settle overnight).

    And then voila! Delicious and cheap and easy rice milk made at home. Shake well before using and keep refrigerated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rice milk is on my next to-do list! Visit the dollar tree if you have one close by! It makes crafting cheap!

    ReplyDelete